I love me some Netflix; my whole family does. My toddler has her favorites (Octonauts, Paw Patrol, Masha & The Bear, to name a few), and when she finally stops calling for a story/drink/snuggle/41st bathroom visit, it’s time for me and a cocktail, and a few of my faves to sit back and let the day wash away. Most of the characters in the shows I watch imbibe at one point or another (I am sensing a theme here…..), and I started thinking about what the perfect cocktail* would be for each show.
While my drink of choice is vodka and club soda, these pairings are so perfect I can’t wait to try them too!
House of Cards
While both fictional and real POTUS’ seem to prefer scotch, I think Frank Underwood would appreciate the gin martini; much like the show, it is straight and to the point. Unlike the show’s main character, though, this drink is fully transparent and easy to create!
Drink: Gin Martini, drink of choice of the 32nd POTUS Franklin Delano Roosevelt
- 2 oz. dry gin
- 1 oz. dry vermouth
- 3 olives
1. Mix and partake!
This interesting and action-packed supernatural drama is set in the 1980’s and stars Winona Rider as the mother of a missing son. As the story unfolds, we learn there is way more than meets the eye! Winona Rider, so this pairing practically made itself!!
- 1/2 oz. Vodka
- 1/2 oz. Melon Liqueur
- 1/2 oz. Blue Curacao
- 1/2 oz. Raspberry Liqueur
- 1/2 oz. Cranberry Juice
- Sour Mix
1. Fill a tall glass with ice and pour the vodka.
2. Fill the glass 3/4 full with Sour Mix.
3. Pour in the rest of the ingredients one at a time
4. If you must, garnish with a pineapple spear and/or a cherry, and pour!
Set in Miami, this show follows the decline of a dysfunctional family and their resort business. Those who have watched the first season will understand the connection between the drink and the show; if you haven’t watched yet, make this drink and settle in for the ride!!
Drink: Light My Fire
- 50 ml Whiskey
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 lemon wedge
- 1 slice green apple
- 100 ml cloudy apple juice
1. Cut a lemon wedge and rub the rim of the glass with it.
2. Add a tbsp of brown sugar to a small plate, shake out so that it covers the plate, turn the glass upside down and dip the glass in the sugar; shake off any excess sugar.
3. Fill the glass with ice cubes.
Using a 1 OZ shot glass, measure 2 shots of whiskey and 4 shots of cloudy apple juice into the glass.
4. Garnish with a slice of apple, and serve!
Ray is a Boston-born and bred, and his old-fashioned family “values” show it even though his lifestyle and career choice are anything but family-friendly. As a Hollywood fixer, he has to do many things that go against his grain, but the underlining current is always “protection” of the families of his clients. Besides the fact that he drinks whiskey like a fish, I think Ray would approve of this pairing!
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- 3 Angostura Bitters
- Club Soda
- 2 oz. Rye Whiskey
- 1 old-fashioned glass
1. Place the sugar in a glass.
2. Pour 2 or 3 dashes of the bitters and a short splash of water or club soda over the sugar.
3. Rotate the glass so that the sugar grains and bitters give the glass a lining.
4. Add a large ice cube.
5. Pour in the whiskey and enjoy!
Following the lives of President Fitzgerald Grant, his wife Mellie, and his paramour Olivia Pope, this political drama has all the makings of a perfect binge-watch. Olivia & Fitz endlessly circle each; coming together and pulling apart over and over, while still keeping the spark and chemistry interesting. This pairing appealed to me on so many levels: 2 glasses of everything, with a lot of mixing and shaking!
- 2 glasses of Scotch
- 2 glasses of French Vermouth
- 2 glasses of Italian Vermouth
- Cracked ice
1. Mix, shake, pour!
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
This is by far the cutest, silliest Netflix original that I have enjoyed so far. It’s is ridiculous and hilarious, all while dealing with a subject that probably isn’t too far off the mark! Kimmy was kidnapped as a young girl, and spent most of her time in an underground bunker with two other women as captive “Mole Women”. When the women are finally freed, the fun and light-hearted (albeit extremely naive) Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is born! There is absolutely no better drink to have while watching this show than a fruity, fizzy delicious Sangria!
Drink: White Wine Sangria
- 1 750-millilitre bottle dry white wine
- 3/4 cup peach flavored vodka
- 6 tablespoons frozen Bacardi juice
- 1 pound white peaches, pitted and sliced
- 1 2L bottle of Ginger Ale
- 3/4 cup seedless red grapes, halved
- 3/4 cup seedless green grapes, halved
1. Mix in a large pitcher, chill, and serve!